Here’s the question that’s on everyone’s mind when they start thinking about list-building:
“Which service should I use?”
From Mailchimp, Aweber, Active Campaign, Get Response. The list is endless.
You’ve probably wondered yourself, and maybe even spent a few hours (or days, or weeks) researching your options.
This is not the question you should be asking. Not yet anyway. And it’s exactly why so many health coaches get stuck in the planning stage of list building.
The First Step In List Building
Before you start thinking about which email provider to use, you must ask yourself this:
“How can I best serve my market?”
Whether your target market are new moms, stressed-out managers, or diabetics, they have a need that only you can fulfill. And when you discover what that need is, you’ll have two valuable pieces of information:
- What incentive (freebie) will be a true no-brainer for your ideal client to opt-in to your list?
- How can you use your mailing list to provide the best value for those who do subscribe?
Don’t over-think these questions, though. Your opt-in incentive can be as simple as a resource guide or a short how-to video that answers a common question. You don’t have to go overboard with dozens of downloads and a 100-page ebook. Rather than providing value, these massive downloads are more likely to overwhelm your reader than encourage her to learn more or take the next step with you.
And when it comes to providing value to your list members, keep three things in mind:
- Regular communication is a must (consider an autoresponder series if you’re not good with scheduling email updates)
- Marketing is second to information—too much selling will cause your opt-out rates to soar.
- It’s your responsibility as a thought leader in your market to distill and provide the information, tools and products your audience needs.
The Second Step In List Building
This phase is simple. Just ask yourself this question:
“What is my list-building goal?”
Consider how you plan to use your list. What is the purpose of building the list? Will you:
- Provide support by sending a weekly or monthly newsletter?
- Create an autoresponder series that delivers content on a pre-determined schedule?
- Recommend products as an income generator?
- Promote your own services and products?
- Offer a free challenge as a free or low-priced entry-point to your other programs?
- or something else.
The answers to these questions will help you determine not only the right tool for your list-building needs, but will also determine the path for your ongoing mailing list content, promotions, and growth.
Aweber is Our #1 Recommended Email Marketing Service For New Entrepreneurs.
WATCH THE VIDEO!
We love this service because it is so easy to set up and actually use. I was their customer for over 2 years when I first started growing my business. It has all the features you need to get started at a low price and has automation features that none of the free services offer. Aweber also integrates with many other apps that you’ll need in place to make your biz life run more smoothly. There is a small monthly fee, but what you’ll find is that paying the $19 USD per month saves you a lot of headaches and stress, and helps you to actually grow your list faster. (Most of the free email providers do NOT have the right feature you need to run your business professionally.) Just the facts! Try Aweber for free for 30 days and if you don’t like it, cancel! Here is my affiliate link if you’re interested in a 30 day free trial.